Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hilltop of the shadow of death- a cheery way to start a blog



Last year I realized how I am surrounded by death. When I walk to the Carrick Library, I pass by three cemeteries, two funeral homes, a monument (headstone) business and am greeted by yet another graveyard next to the library. People are dying to live in my neighborhood. Figuratively, I am also surrounded by the walking dead, wandering around like sheep without a shepherd. The hollow eyes of decaying buildings gape through weed jungles. Graffiti and litter snarl at passersby. These initial realizations put me in a state of grief and depression but I am realizing that the way out of the abyss of my feelings is not denial of the chaos and destruction of the people and places that surround me, but rather finding ways of resurrecting and redeeming them. The power of re!

No comments: